Welcome to Belfioreland, web-home of the happiest touring family on earth.
What’s this about you ask? We took our three kids out of school for most of this school-year and we’re currently on a family adventure which includes travelling around the world. We started in November 2015 and we’ll finish up in Summer 2016.
- Here’s all the background, including our itinerary.
- Want to learn more? Read our FAQ
- Wondering where we are right now? Scroll to the bottom of this home page for “latest status”
Sound interesting? Well, our trip isn’t over and we want to stay in touch with you! Our kids will be a LOT happier if there are comments and questions coming from all of you back home, so:
- Follow this blog by clicking the “FOLLOW” button at the very bottom-left of this page. You’ll get one email each time one of us posts. No spam, we promise!
- Follow @belfioreland on Instagram and like/comment on our daily photos. Alexander is managing these and he’s gonna get bored if nobody is commenting.
- Read about our trip so far! Take a look at some of the blog posts below, which show our whole trip so far, in order. Don’t worry– there’s WAY MORE photos than words!
Thanks for visiting!
Part 1: US Cities
We knew we’d be travelling far and wide.. but our kids had never visited New York or Washington or any of the other great cities in the US. So… we decided we’d start our trip close to home.
- Atlanta: Historic, Yummy and Fun by Joe
- Alabama: Birmingham & Montgomery historic spots by Joe
- Theme Parks and Thanksgiving by Joe
- Sydney’s Notes from the South by Sydney
- Our Big Car Ride: To Charleston! by Piper
- Day 18: Colonial Williamsburg by Alexander
- Alexander on D.C.: Favorite Smithsonian museums by Alexander
- Sydney’s favorite things in D.C. by Sydney
- Washington (the summary)! by Joe
New York City
- New York City Shows by Sydney
- NYC… All About Skyscrapers by Piper
- Alexander on NYC: Iconic Sights by Alexander
Part 2: Semester at Sea
On January 5 we left Ensenada, Mexico aboard the MV World Odyssey as part of a floating college campus called “Semester at Sea”. We were 5 of the 25 “Lifelong Learner” passengers who were travelling with about 550 college students and about 25 faculty and staff. Our kids were 3 of the ~20 kids aboard the ship.
We had an amazing time travelling aboard the ship … not just seeing the incredible cities and countries, but getting to know a wonderful group of people.
Life at Sea
- Bon Voyage by Joe
- Shipboard Life – 1 week in by Kristina
- ⭐ Alexander’s Journal: Kid’s view of the Ship by Alexander
- ⭐⭐ Halfway done: “We have a new normal”
- ⭐ 🎬 The Voyage Ends: Au Revoir, Life at Sea by the Whole Family
- Tokyo!!! by Alexander
- Tokyo DisneySea… by Sydney
- Tokyo Disneyland… by Piper
- Central Japan: Matsumoto & our Ryokan stay by Kristina
- ⭐⭐ Japan Alps: Shirakawa-Go by Joe
- Susono with friends by Kristina
- Kyoto & Hiroshima (Goodbye, Japan) by Alexander
- ⭐ China! Suzhou Factories, Shanghai Skyline, Hong Kong Lights by Joe
- ⭐ Twins talk China: We Ate Chicken Feet! by Sydney & Piper
- India! 5 Cities in 6 Days… by Joe
- ⭐ A Taj Mahal Gallery.. India Part 2 by Joe
- Girls talk India… Interview time! by Piper & Sydney
- ⭐⭐ Maldives! The country I’d been waiting for… by Alexander
United Arab Emirates
- A Sprinkle of Dubai by Alexander
- ⭐⭐ Sabi Sabi Safari… African animals attack! by Joe
- Twins Interview: Alexander, the Safari Target by Sydney, Piper & Alexander
- Capetown… The Twin View by Sydney & Piper
- (video) ⭐⭐ So… this happened in Cape Town. by Joe
- Ghana (part 1): Villages, Cities, Rainforest… and Awesome People by Joe
- Ghana (part 2): Slave Castles😦 by Joe
- Alexander’s Journal: Casablanca & the Morocco Desert Camp by Alexander
- Marrakech! by Joe
Southampton, England: The Voyage Ends
- ⭐⭐ The Voyage Ends: Au Revoir, Life at Sea by the Whole Family
Part 3: Europe Solo
After the ship disembarked in Southampton, our family began another 4 months of travel on our own, through Europe. As we started this last-leg, we had a lot of planning to do! We didn’t know everywhere we’d go .. and we didn’t even have our flight home booked. (For updates on our itinerary visit the “about our trip” page.)
- Europe begins in… LONDON. by Kristina
- Rain in Spain! Caballos y Siestas en Sevilla… by Sydney
- Rain in Spain 2: Moorish Castle, Nose Flaring and a Beach! by Piper
- Spain 3: Z loves Barcelona! by Alexander
- ⭐ Spain 4: Madrid! Blood, guts, and.. great foo.. by Joe
- Goodbye Spain! Segovia and San Sebastian by Joe
- Puy Du Fou, France: Horses, Vultures, and Lions. Oh yeah. I forgot about blood. by Alexander
- What to do in Paris when it rains. A LOT. by Joe
- Kid Video: A Tour of our Paris Apartment by Sydney and Piper
- ⭐ Our Paris Favorites: from Euro Cup to the Parisian Dead by the Whole Family
- Twins blog: Paris Disneyland! by Sydney and Piper
- Guest Post! The Tippett family meets us in Provence by John, Teresa, Mia & Sam Tippett
- Croatian Cities: Yes, Dad. I know they’re Beautiful! by Alexander
- Would YOU spend 6 Nights on a Croatian Sailboat with the Belfiores? They did… by Joe
- Guest post: A Croatian Folktale by Evan Carr Guest post! by Evan Carr
Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary
- Danube River Cruise Part 1: Piper covers Germany and Austria by Piper
- Danube River Cruise Part 2: Sydney on Slovakia Twins’ Birthday! by Sydney
- Budapest: Yes, yes. I was Hungary for the duck too. by Alexander
- Berlin: Still Crazy After All These Years by Joe